- 800 grams Skinless and Boneless Chicken Thigh Fillets, cut into 2cm cubes (can use chicken breast or other proteins: beef, lamb or pork)
- 200 grams bacon, cut into 2cm lengths (streaky will be best)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of your favourite barbecue sauce
- 1½ tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
These skewers are highly adaptable. Don’t have chicken thighs? Use breast, tenderloins or even swap out the chicken completely for beef, lamb or even pork. You can even add vegetables, like capsicum, onion, mushrooms, zucchini etc.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your barbecue for direct cooking over medium heat (180-230°C).
- Combine all the seasoning ingredients. Lightly coat the chicken with olive oil. Evenly sprinkle the chicken with the seasoning.
- Thread the chicken and the bacon onto skewers, alternating.
- Grill the chicken skewers for 10 minutes over direct medium heat, turning once, halfway through.
- Brush the skewers all over with barbecue sauce and continue to cook for a further 4 minutes, flipping after 2 minutes.
- Once cooked through (Chicken must reach an internal temp of 74°C) remove the skewers from the barbecue and enjoy.