- 500 grams pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed and cut into 1cm thick slices
- 2 long red chillies
- 1 garlic clove (unpeeled)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 100 grams feta, plus extra to garnish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (approx. 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh mint leaves, to garnish (optional)
You won’t want to buy shop-bought dip after you try this recipe. Caramelising the pumpkin and toasting the cashews brings out the most amazing richness in the ingredients. This is a fantastic recipe to prepare ahead for entertaining. Serve at room temperature and garnish just before serving.
- Prepare the barbecue for direct cooking over medium heat (180°C to 230°C) with a Weber Stainless Steel Grill Pan or Frying Pan to toast the cashews.
- In a large bowl, add the pumpkin slices, chillies and whole garlic clove. Add the olive oil, and season with the salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat all the ingredients.
- Place the pumpkin slices and whole chillies on the cooking grill, then add the whole garlic clove to the pan. Cook the pumpkin, chillies and garlic over direct medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until the pumpkin has caramelised and cooked through, the chillies have blackened, and the garlic clove has caramelised. Once all the ingredients have cooked, remove from the barbecue and set aside.
- Add the cashews to the grill pan or frying pan and cook for 5 minutes over direct medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once golden and toasted, remove the cashews from the barbecue. If desired, roughly chop approximately 1 tablespoon of the toasted cashews, set aside to garnish the dip.
- Peel the chillies, discard the stems and seeds. Peel the garlic clove. In a food processor add the chilli flesh, garlic flesh, grilled pumpkin, feta, cashews, lemon juice and olive oil. Blitz the dip into a desired consistency. Season with extra salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the dip into a serving bowl. Refrigerate until required or serve immediately.
- Best served at room temperature. When ready to serve, garnish with extra feta, the chopped cashews and fresh mint leaves. Serve with toasted bread, flatbread, crackers or veggie sticks.