- 1 cauliflower head
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ¼ cup currants
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup Greek (or plain) yoghurt (optional)
TURMERIC AND CHILLI SEASONING:
- 1½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
This dish is not only perfect for vegetarians, as it can be adapted for vegans too (leave out the yoghurt). It also makes a terrific side dish.
- Combine the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. Sit the cauliflower on a bench, stalk side up. Cut three steaks from the cauliflower, approximately 1cm thick, you will need a section of the stalk to keep the steaks together. Reserve the left-over floret for another use. Brush both sides of the steaks with 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil and season all over with the seasoning. To make the dressing; whisk together all of the tahini dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or jar.
- Prepare the barbecue for direct cooking over medium heat (180°C to 230°C) with a perforated grill pan or Weber Ware frying pan.
- Once the barbecue has preheated, add the almonds to the pan and toast for 4 minutes over direct medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the barbecue once toasted.
- While the almonds are toasting, place the cauliflower steaks onto the barbecue and cook over direct medium heat for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, using a metal spatula, flip and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- If the steaks are not yet tender, brush the steaks, using the remaining 1 ½ tablespoon of olive oil, flip and cook for 4 minutes. Brush one last time with the oil, flip and cook for a final 4 minutes, or until the steaks are tender.
- Roughly chop the almonds. Serve the cauliflower steaks with the chopped toasted almonds, currants, mint leaves, yoghurt and tahini dressing.