- 1 fennel bulb
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ Pink Lady or Fuji apple, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (approx. 1 lemon)
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
Grilling fennel brings out sweet, caramelised flavours. This salad has bursts of flavours and textures. Perfect alongside grilled seafood, chicken or pork.
- Remove the fronds from the fennel bulb and set aside as a garnish. Cut away and discard the stalks from the fennel bulb. Cut the fennel bulb in quarters, remove the centre of the core, leaving a little amount of the core behind (this will help to keep the wedges intact). Cut ¾ of the fennel bulb into 1m thick wedges. Thinly slice the remaining ¼ of the fennel bulb and set aside until required.
- Prepare the barbecue for direct cooking over medium-high heat (200°C to 240°C) with a Weber Ware frying pan.
- Using a basting brush, brush the fennel wedges with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pecans to the frying pan and toast over direct medium-high heat, with the lid closed, for 3 minutes, or until toasted. Remove from the barbecue and set aside
- Add the fennel wedges to the barbecue, grill over direct medium- high heat, with the lid closed, for 4 minutes on each side, or until softened and caramelised. Remove from the barbecue once cooked.
- To make a dressing, combine the lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble the salad; combine the fennel wedges, thinly sliced fennel, apple slices and salad dressing. Top with the pecans and fennel bulb fronds.