- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 slices brioche bread (or plain sliced bread)
- 40 grams butter
- Fresh strawberries, to serve (optional)
MAPLE ALMOND CRUNCH
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- 100 millilitres pure maple syrup, plus extra to serve
This French toast sounds and tastes fancy, but it is super simple to make on the barbecue. The maple candied almonds add an incredible crunch and sweetness.
- Prepare your barbecue for direct cooking over medium heat (180°C to 230°C) with a hotplate (or use a Weber Ware Frying Pan- instructions for pan in step 3 onwards).
- In a dish, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, milk and cinnamon.
- Once the barbecue has preheated. Place a Weber Ware Frying Pan onto the barbecue and add the flaked almonds and maple syrup. Cook over direct medium heat, stirring as needed with a silicone spoon, for approximately 8 minutes, or until the maple syrup is deep golden. For the maple to set hard it needs to be deep golden (but not burnt). Pour out onto a sheet of baking paper and leave to cool completely. Clean the frying pan if you are using it to cook the French toast.
- Dip the slices of bread into the egg mixture, let the excess drip off and place onto a plate in a single layer ready to cook.
- If using a Weber Ware pan, add it to the barbecue and leave to preheat for 5 minutes. If using a hotplate, it is a good idea to test the temperature first (see note).
- Melt a little the butter in the pan or the hotplate and add the bread. Cook for 4 minutes on each side over direct medium heat, or until golden. Remove from the barbecue once cooked.
- Break up and crush candied maple almonds with your hands. Serve the French toast immediately with the maple almonds, extra maple syrup and strawberries.