- 6 teaspoons pizza sauce
- 10 rashers streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 can (420 grams) baked beans
- 1 punnet (250 grams) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup grated pizza cheese
- 6 eggs
- Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh Basil leaves
- 7 grams dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 325 milligrams tepid water (approx. 40°C)
- 400 grams pizza flour or Tipo OO flour (approx. 3 cups)
- 100 grams fine semolina (approx. 3/4 cup), plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
You may have heard of the Ned Kelly pie? a meat pie with eggs and bacon. Well, this pizza has the egg and bacon, but also has baked beans and cherry tomatoes- a delicious combo for breakfast, lunch or even dinner.
- Make the dough by mixing the yeast, sugar and water in a jug. Set the mixture aside for 5 minutes, or until it starts to become frothy. Place the flour, semolina and salt in a large bowl, add the yeast mixture, along with the oil. Using your hands, mix together until a dough starts to form. Remove from the bowl and knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes, or until smooth. Place the dough in a floured bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Rest in a warm spot, and leave until the dough has doubled in size, approximately 60 minutes.
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect cooking over medium-high heat (220°C to 260°C) with a Weber Pizza Stone. If you are using a Weber Q barbecue, set up your barbecue with a convection tray, trivet and the pizza stone. Preheat the pizza stone for 20 minutes, or as directed by your pizza stone instructions.
- Once the dough has risen divide the mixture into two equal portions. Roll the dough out on a floured surface to the size of the pizza stone/tray (approx. 30cm). Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil onto each tray. Place the bases onto the trays. Top each base with the pizza sauce, bacon, baked beans, cherry tomatoes, and cheese. Using the back of a spoon, make three indentations into the toppings of each pizza, creating a space to crack the eggs into.
- Place the pizza (on tray) onto the stone and bake over indirect medium-high heat for 25 minutes. Five minutes into the cooking time, crack the eggs onto the pizza, inside the indentations. Continue to cook the pizza for a further 20 minutes, or until the base is cooked and the cheese is golden.
- Remove the pizza from the barbecue wearing heatproof gloves. Repeat cooking process to cook the second pizza.
- Season the pizzas with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh basil.